By following these guidelines, you can ensure a safer and more enjoyable experience as a pedestrian.
Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Walk on sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections.
- Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, locate a well-lit area where you have the best view of traffic.
- Wait for a gap in traffic that allows enough time to cross safely; continue watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Alcohol and drugs impair your abilities and judgment, making it unsafe to walk
- Walking is a healthy mode of transportation.
- Get up, get out, and get moving for a healthier lifestyle.