Winter Weather Slips/Trips/Falls
Slips, trips and falls are one of the leading causes of injuries and fatalities in the workplace. Inclement weather greatly increases the chance for one of these incidents. According to OSHA, slips, trips, and falls incidents cause 15% of all accidental deaths and are second only to motor vehicles accidents. According to Grainger slips, trips, and falls account for about 25% of all reported injury claims per fiscal year, more than 95 million lost workdays per year which accounts for about 65% of all workdays lost.
- When Walking on Icy/ Snowy Surfaces:
- Remove trip hazards before snow or ice conditions, to prevent tripping over a buried object.
- Shovel and salt parking lots and walkways prior to work beginning in that area.
- Take your time and take smaller steps when walking across any slippery surfaces.
- Always wear the proper footwear for the weather.
- Ice Cleats may be a possible solution when working in inclement weather for an ongoing period of time. https://www.winterwalking.com/
- Work to reduce wet or slippery surfaces inside and outside.